8 ways to learn about fintech
Many people are fascinated by the fintech industry and opportunities it has to offer. Perhaps you are a beginner who just want to understand more about fintech, or someone who would like to learn everything about the industry, brush up your own knowledge or even keep up with the latest trends. Here, we've complied a list for you!
1. The Complete Beginner’s Guide to FinTech in 2017 - Despite the fact that the guide was written two years ago, this Forbes article is still handy as a summary for those who are beginners or have just been introduced to the term fintech. It highlights how the industry will affect the business ecosystem as well as us as customers.
2. TEDx Talk by Henri Arslanian - If you want to absorb information through watching videos, this TEDx Talk presented by Henri Arslanian is a good start for you. He will tell you how fintech is shaping the future of banking and disrupting the status quo through his impressive story-telling skills.
3. Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking by Brett King - As a four time bestselling author, renowned futurist and one of the top fintech experts in the world, Brett King is undoubtedly a fintech guru. If you like innovation or to work within the fintech sector, this is the book for you. You can find out more about the disruption of the banking industry in specific fields such as payments and retail banking in this book.
4. Podcast - For podcast lovers who wants to learn about fintech, you should not miss Breaking Banks. Apart from being a bestselling author, Brett King is also the host of Breaking Banks, the first fintech podcast that was launched when fintech emerged. It is currently the most popular fintech podcast with more than 5.5 million listens across 172 countries. If you want to dive into fintech podcasts specifically, my previous article has compiled a list of top selections you should listen to.
5. Faisal Khan’s blog - Faisal Khan is a banking and payments consultant and digital money evangelist. As a frequent speaker in various fintech conferences, he is also the co-host of Around the Coin, a popular weekly fintech podcast. His personal blog talks about all things banking, payments and fintech, including advice articles and emerging trends.
6. Glenbrook - Payments News - For up to date news about the payments industry, Glenbrook provides you with market reports, information regarding companies in the sector and the emergence of fintech disruptors across the globe.
7. The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order by Paul Vigna and Michael J. Casey – For book lovers who are especially interested in digital money such as bitcoin, this is the one for you. The book explores how cryptocurrencies are affecting the economy and in particular the central banks.
8. Industry events – Going to industry events and conferences is an incredible way to learn about the latest trends and insights from industry leaders and upcoming disruptors in the market. Also, it is the best way to network and get to know influential people in the industry. Money 20/20, Merchant Payments Ecosystem, Seamless Asia are some of the very successful and renowned conferences attended by fintech professionals. On our events page, you can browse through a list of the hottest events happening across the world revolving around fintech, ranging from payments, ecommerce, banking, cryptocurrency and many more.
No matter you are an outsider, beginner or fintech professional, the above list provides you some very handy resources to simply take your first step or continue to dive into the ever-changing but fascinating fintech industry!