Financial Services, Fin-Tech, Technology
About the Client
There are a large number of Fintechs popping up but there aren’t many who are able to solidify their position in the market so quickly and across continents in just 3 years of their founding date. Given that there are 100s and 1000s of small to medium sized businesses who have high aspirations, it is essential that they have a well constructed SME lending partner to support their expansions. Our client is doing just that, and is becoming a powerhouse at it by already operating in over 20 countries.
About the Job
For their office in Germany (HQ) they are looking for a Senior Credit Underwriter who has experience in SME lending within the UK market, given that the UK market is one of many fast-growing areas in this space. Aside from performing regular credit underwriting duties, such as; assessing creditworthiness, processing lending, performing KYC and DD deliverables on clients and evaluating the potential fraud risk of onboarding. You will also be expected to (since you will have an all-rounded view of the clientele in the UK books) take charge of alterations to current agreements, for examples rollovers or pay downs or increases. With all this in mind and since this is a new innovative company, you will be expected to assess and recommend any improvements you can see within the company’s current credit policies. The most important thing here is (like any lending platform) is to thoroughly assess the risk of taking on more business but with that in mind we are not looking for an overly conservative professional, rather someone who is able to see the potential in investments and hedge their risks effectively, allowing the business to continue to grow into more countries and markets.
Questions to ask yourself
- What has been the most challenging part of business that you have onboarded? And how did you manage that?
- Has there been an occasion where a client of yours was “going down the pan” and you managed the risk effectively for the client and your company? If so, how did you do this?
- What are the 3 main criteria that you first look for when onboarding an SME?
- How do you think the SME lending market differs in the UK as opposed to other markets in Europe or in other parts of the world?
- What would be the 2 things you would change about the current policies you work with within SME lending?
- Do you have experience leading / supervisor other SME lending professionals? What do you find most challenging about this?
Things to keep in mind
- Minimum 3 years experience in Credit Underwriting in the SME lending space
- You must have experience of SME lending in the UK market
- English speaking is a must