€65,000 to €80,000 Per Annum
About the Client
Our client is a technology-driven trading firm with offices in Amsterdam, Chicago and Sydney. They develop innovative technology and employ advanced trading strategies to make markets on more than 100 of the world's best-regulated trading venues.
About the Job
Do you enjoy the process of problem solving, a process where you recognize areas of improvement and iterate and innovate to improve? Does your curiosity and desire to learn drive you?
The Network Engineers are responsible for designing, implementing and supporting the WAN, LANs and all low-latency connectivity to trading venues. They work closely with the Systems Engineers, other teams and external parties to provide best in class infrastructure solutions supporting the trading business.
- Design, implement and support the European networking infrastructure. Key areas include Low-latency networking, Unicast and Multicast routing, OSPF, BGP, PIM SM, as well as things like QoS, STP, NAT, protocol tuning, etc.
- Monitor, guard and analyze the proper functioning of our network infrastructure. Take adaptive, retentive and corrective measures and perform structural maintenance
- Proactively improve infrastructure by contributing scripts and code to automation efforts (e.g. Bash, Python)
- Accurately create and maintain documentation detailing the implemented network components, as well as relevant procedures and other documentation
- Responsibility for IT security related platforms. Key areas include Palo Alto firewalls, Juniper MAG SSL gateways, VPNs, Security policies, etc.
- Work flexible hours. Pride comes with uptime of the trading environment, so every now and then you will be working outside of regular business hours to apply critical changes. This could be from your desk, your couch at home or also inside of one of the company's datacenters abroad
- Liaise with external vendors, exchanges and providers to explore new technology solutions, implement new services or troubleshoot problems
What makes it Fun?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is the very quick feedback loop. Our client release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are implemented
- They operate at the bleeding edge of technology. If something new can potentially bring an advantage they will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution as quick as they can
- Our client really believes in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of the technology stack is shared between all three regions, and they provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where people can have the biggest impact
- Working here is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets and how exchanges work. They know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach.
- We will not accept less for any applicant to this role and we expect you to be able to back yourself
You are a highly capable engineer with an appetite for accuracy, and are not afraid to go beyond the standard text-book concepts of networking. You thrive on working with your peers and cross-functional teams and are able to motivate and encourage your colleagues around you. Ability to clearly communicate - both verbally and written - technical concepts and challenges to both technical and non-technical stakeholders is a must.